Comparing One DJ To Another – How Do You Choose?
Comparing One DJ To Another: Planning a wedding can be overwhelming. Choosing a photographer never seems as difficult as finding an entertainer. With a photographer – you can see their work and feel the photo album in your hands. If you love their work, it’s time to arrange a meeting. You meet with the photographer and as long as you feel comfortable with them and can live with their prices – then you have found the right photographer for you.
With a DJ – unless you’ve been to a wedding and experienced their skill in running a wedding and maintaining an active dance floor – how exactly can you know who is the right DJ for you? There is only so much you can learn about a wedding disc jockey from a brochure. Is the picture on the brochure from one of their events or is a “stock photo” that their graphic designer just used?
I like to think that the internet is a wonderful tool to help you make an educated choice in finding a quality wedding entertainer. Here are five things to look for:
1. URL (Web address) and Email Address – if their web address is a FREE website (myspace, yahoo) or email address is a Hotmail or Yahoo address – this could be a warning sign of a “starter” DJ service or someone that does not take their business seriously (and probably will not take your wedding seriously either)
2. Photographs – do they have photos of their DJ set-up at a wedding? Does it stand out? Are their wires showing? Do they have a self-promoting sign? Will it fit into your wedding décor or will it stand out as an eyesore?
3. Video & Audio clips – do they have video (raw footage as opposed to edited) or audio clips of their performance? You especially want to hear your DJ perform a typical introduction. Are they fluent with their speech? Do they stumble with name pronunciations? How is the flow from one couple to the next? Does their voice match the introduction music pace?
4. When you call your prospective DJ – do they answer their telephone? If you had to leave a voicemail, did they return your call within 24 hours? How quickly do they respond to emails? A DJ’s responsiveness is a reflection of their customer service. How would you feel if the week prior to your wedding – your DJ took 3 days to return a call or email?
5. Up-to-date information – If their website or literature looks like it has not been updated in years – it is a warning sign. Stay away. Your DJ should not look like a throwback from another time. This is a sign of a stagnant DJ – someone that still plays the same music and all of their weddings are a poor copy of the one before. Who wants this at their own wedding? Weddings should be unique and memorable and should cater to the client’s vision.
If you have concerns about a prospective DJ – google them “The Pro’s Complaints” and see what past clients have to say about their experience. Good luck in planning your wedding!.
See Images of Past Weddings
Ready To Start Comparing One DJ To Another?
What Do You Do Now?
Contact DJ Rob today to learn about our pricing and availability for your upcoming event.
We offer wedding DJs, Custom Lighting Design, and Photo Booth Rentals.
Describe your wedding in 3 words so we have an understanding of what you are looking for.
Send us an inspirational image of what you are trying to create for custom wedding lighting.
Tell us the style of music that gets you up and shaking your booty.
Let us guide you through the planning process.
Our stomping grounds are The Berkshires and Hartford CT areas, but we travel from Hudson Valley NY to Boston MA, and Southern VT to the CT Shoreline and Newport RI. Get started today.
More Blog Articles Like
Comparing One DJ To Another
Fundraisers, Charity Auctions, and Corporate Event Production Services Near Me Fundraisers, Charity Auctions, and Corporate Event Production Services Near Me: We provide a personalized experience for all our corporate clients planning small to medium charity auctions, fundraisers, and corporate galas. With a wide range of event production services, AV rentals, and professional event lighting options….
Hybrid DJ/Bands – Not What They Are Hyped Up To Be We had the opportunity to work with a couple hybrid DJ/Bands this past wedding season. It seems cool on the surface – the best of both worlds. A DJ to MC your event and play music in the style that you and your guests…
Sarah & Andrew Red Barn at Hampshire College – Amherst, MA – Wedding DJ Sarah and Andrew didn’t want to be the center of attention at their wedding and wanted to give their guests plenty to do so that they could relax and enjoy the day without feeling like they were under a microscope! The…
Tess & Tyler – MASS MoCA – North Adams, MA – Wedding DJ Tess & Tyler held their ceremony and reception across the stunning galleries at MASS MoCA. Their ceremony took place in the Spencer Finch Gallery before guests headed to The Prow for Cocktails and into the event space for dinner and dancing. We…
Nick and Kelly’s wedding at The Williams Inn in Williamstown, MA Although initial plans were for about 85 guests, we ended up with just 51 guests at this intimate wedding in Williamstown MA. No problem! Nick and Kelly were there to have a great time. The food was amazing. The weather was perfect. They went…
Jessica + Donnell – Proprietor’s Lodge – Pittsfield MA Wedding DJ I was really psyched to DJ Jessica and Donnell’s wedding after I saw their playlist. It was filled with classic club songs from back in the day. You see, they were an older couple who had multiple children and their playlist was just on…
Be Sure To Follow Us On Instagram![wdi_feed id=”1″]
Copyright 2000-2011 Rob Alberti’s Event Services, Rob Alberti’s After Hours Disc Jockey Service, Entertainment & Event Up-Lighting – Westfield, MA – Worcester, MA – Enfield, CT – Colchester, CT – Providence, RI – All Rights Reserved