Wedding DJ Horror Stories
Best Wedding DJ Horror Stories
Over the past few years, we have had the opportunity to see many other DJs as we provided a photo booth or event lighting services (and not DJ). I wanted to tell you a few of the best horror stories that we had to live through.
- Wedding at The Society Room of Hartford – we were providing the event up-lighting and watched as the other area DJ had guests circle the dance floor and they introduced the couple into their circle of friends and family for their first dance. Everyone is standing there – BUT NO MUSIC. We timed it – it took that DJ over 2 minutes to get their first dance to play. The couple stood there embarrassed in the center of friends and family. That is a moment they will never forget.
- We were hired by a local area DJ to provide photo booth and up-lighting at The Log Cabin for his wedding. He had a buddy of his that did some DJing provide the entertainment. Unfortunately, his computer was acting up and he could not get his DJ software to run. At one point, he was struggling to play music off if iTunes. No backup computer and the wedding came to a screeching halt until one of my staff stepped in and help resolve the problem.
- A few years back, I was at a multi-room facility with three weddings going on at the same time. As I was starting my social hour music, one of the managers came running into me asking where my other DJ was. One of the other room’s DJ had not shown up and guests were arriving for the ceremony already. We quickly cleared up the fact that it was not one of my DJs missing but of another area company with a similar company name. They decided to not show up until after social hour because they had not been hired by the couple to provide music or microphones for the ceremony. Yeah, that was a mistake – you never setup DJ gear while guests are already there.
- I was at the Waterview providing photo booth for an afternoon wedding a couple years back and I actually knew the DJ from CT who was providing services for this couple. He was set up downstairs for their ceremony – but he was using THE SAME GEAR as he needed upstairs so when the ceremony was done, he had to haul his gear THROUGH GUESTS to reset it upstairs. There was about a twenty-minute gap in music – DEAD AIR as he rushed to set up and provide cocktail hour music. We always have a completely independent system for the ceremony and separate speakers for the social hour so that we never have to move gear or do sound checks while your guests are in the building.
- I was in downtown Hartford providing lighting services for a wedding and the entertainment had the facility TURN UP THE HOUSE LIGHTS, they stopped everyone from dancing and announced that it was time for the bride to toss her bouquet. The problem was that the bride was outside taking photos at the time – AND she DIDN’T want to toss her bouquet. They killed the dance floor for nothing. We always touch base with you, your parents and other wedding vendors BEFORE we ever make an announcement that something is about to happen to avoid awkward moments like this at your wedding.
OK, so clearly just hiring someone to provide music for your wedding reception is NOT ENOUGH for what you really need. Ready to find out what a Wedding Event Director can do for your wedding v. other lesser known area DJs? Give Rob a call at 413-562-2632 today.
Hi, I’m Rob Alberti from Rob Alberti’s Event Services. We transform space, light & sound by providing DJ, event lighting and a full array of a/v rental services to make your next event look & sound spectacular. Please check out our website & blog at www.robalberti.com. We’d love the opportunity to quote services for the next event you may be working on.
Rob Alberti, event director, lighting designer, author
Rob Alberti’s Event Services, DJ & Lighting
1310 Russell Road; Westfield, MA 01085
What Do You Do Now?
Contact DJ Rob today to find out pricing and availability for your upcoming event. We offer wedding DJs, Custom Lighting Design, and Photo Booth Rentals.
Describe your wedding in 3 words so we have an understanding of what you are looking for.
Send us an inspirational image of what you are trying to create for custom wedding lighting.
Tell us the style of music that gets you up and shaking your booty.
Let us guide you through the planning process.
Our stomping grounds are The Berkshires and Hartford CT areas, but we travel from Hudson Valley NY to Boston MA, and Southern VT to the CT Shoreline frequently. Get started today.
Jamie & David Boylston Rooms – Easthampton, MA Wedding DJ Jamie and David held their ceremony and reception at the beautiful Boylston Rooms in Easthampton, MA. It was a beautiful day for the outdoor cocktail hour that followed the ceremony. When the cocktail hour was over, guests headed inside for formalities, dinner, and dancing. Jamie…
Katy + Peter’s Wedding at The Lake House Guest Cottages of the Berkshires Katy + Peter held their weekend wedding celebration at The Lake House Guest Cottages of the Berkshires in Lanesboro MA. They didn’t want any Taylor Swift or Black Eyed Peas or Justin Timberlake played at their wedding but they were all about…
Abbey & Zack – Farm at Carter Hill Marlborough, CT Wedding DJ I met Abbey and Zack through my fiance, Ashley. She and Abbey had been friends since they worked together at a daycare in high school. We met Abbey & Zack for lunch and they let me know they were looking for a DJ…
Eloise & Michael MA Wedding DJ – Bloom Meadows Hancock, MA Eloise, Michael and their families came to party! They skipped most of the formalities aside from the ceremony, a quick intro, and some speeches. The rest of the time was all dancing. They were married at Bloom Meadows on the back lawn before heading…
Leandro & Cordelia MA Wedding DJ – Greylock Valley Estate, Lanesborough, MA Leandro and Cordelia were a blast to work with! They held their ceremony and reception at Greylock Valley Estate in Lanesborough. It was a beautiful day for their wedding ceremony in the back of the house before guests headed to the sailcloth tent…
Alyssa + Donovan – Wedding at Herman Melville’s Arrowhead in Pittsfield MA We met Alyssa years back when she worked with Heirloom Fire and she now works as the 2nd shooter at Dear Edith and Lily Photography – when we heard she was getting married – we jumped at the chance to help her and…