First Dance Song Suggestions – Making Things Unique
I came across this unique blog post on Offbeatbride.com and thought I’d share it with you. They had some wonderful suggestions for being unique when choosing your first dance song for your wedding.
Oldies but Goodies — along the same lines of “At Last”
- The Beach Boys “God Only Knows” (hear it)
- Shuggie Otis’ “Strawberry Letter 23” (hear it)
- Marvin Gaye’s “Let’s Get it On” (hear it)
- Otis Redding’s “That’s How Strong My Love Is” (hear it)
- Van Morrison’s “Sweet Thing” (hear it)
- The Zombies’ “This Will Be Our Year” (hear it)
- The Kinks “Waterloo Sunset” (hear it)
- Toussaint McCall’s “Nothing Takes The Place Of You” (hear it)
- Al Green’s “Love and Happiness” (hear it)
- (Ariel’s) Me’Shell Ndegéocello’s “Love Song #1” (hear it)
- Ben Folds’ “The Luckiest” (hear it)
- Peter Gabriel’s “In Your Eyes” (hear it)
- Massive Attack’s “One Love” (hear it)
- Mazzy Star’s “Fade Into You” (hear it)
- Portishead’s “All Mine” (hear it)
- Lou Reed’s “Perfect Day” (hear it)
Wonky ‘n Fun
- Adam Sandler’s “I Wanna Grow Old With You” (hear it)
- The “Family Matters” theme song “As Days Go By” (hear it)
- Doris Day’s “A Bushel And A Peck” (hear it)
- The Velvet Underground’s “I’m Sticking with You” (hear it)
- The Band’s “Cripple Creek” (hear it)
- Toto’s “Africa” (hear it)
- (Megan’s) Pavement’s “We Dance” (hear it)
- Jon Brion’s “Here We Go” (hear it)
- Neko Case’s “This Tornado Loves You” (hear it)
- Sufan Stevens’ “The Dress Looks Nice On You” (hear it)
- Wilco “I’m the Man Who Loves You” (hear it)
- The Cure’s “Friday I’m in Love” (hear it)
- Bright Eyes’ “First Day of my Life” (hear it)
- Nick Drake’s “Northern Sky” (hear it)
- The Pixie’s “La La Love You” (hear it)
- Bird and the Bee “My Love” (hear it)
- Obi Best “Nothing Can Come Between Us” (you can get a free mp3 here)
- The Moldy Peaches’ “Anyone Else but You” (hear it)
- The Mountain Goats’ “No Children” (hear it) — yes, some people find this song controversial!
- Neutral Milk Hotel’s “I Love How You Love Me” (hear it)
- She & Him’s “I Was Made For You” (hear it)
- Captain Beefheart’s “I’m Glad” (hear it)
Jazzin’ — along the same lines of Michael Buble
- Sara Gazarek’s “Makes Me Feel This Way” (hear it) or her version of “You Are My Sunshine” (hear it)
- Harry Connick Jr.’s “Come By Me” (hear it)
- Kurt Elling’s “I Feel So Smoochie” (hear it)
- Jamie Cullum’s “I Think, I Love” (hear it)
- Renee Olstead’s ” A Love That Will Last” (hear it)
- (Shrie’s) Chuck Barry’s “You Never Can Tell” (hear it)
- Barry Louis Polisar’s “All I Want Is You” (hear it)
- Sly & the Family Stone’s “You Can Make It If You Try” (hear it)
- Huey “Piano” Smith’s “Little Liza Jane” (hear it)
- Mayer Hawthorne’s “Make Her Mine” (hear it)
- Cat Power’s version of “Sea of Love” (hear it)
- Peter Gabriel’s “Book of Love” (hear it)
- Air’s “Playground Love” (hear it)
- The Fruit Bat’s “When U Love Somebody” (hear it)
Dark and Romantic
- Judas Priest’s “Angel” (hear it)
- Rammstein’s “Ohne Dich” (hear it with English translation)
- Type O Negative’s “Love You to Death” (hear it)
- Stone Temple Pilots’ “Still Remains” (hear it)
- Incubus’ “Monuments and Melodies” (hear it)
- Killswitch Engage’s “My Curse” (hear it)
- HIM’s “Join Me In Death” (hear it)
As in our last post for “Non-sappy father/daughter dance songs” if you’ve got any suggestions, feel free to leave them in the comments.
If you would like to have us at your upcoming event or wedding, please checkout our website at www.robalberti.com or request further information and we can check our availability and put together a formal quote for you.
Remember, we offer wedding disc jockey entertainment, iphotography, photo booth rental, event lighting, up-lighting and a/v rental services for all types of events in the New England areas including Newport, Providence, Boston, Western Mass, The Berkshires, Hartford, New Haven, CT Shoreline, & Fairfield County.
Rob Alberti, event director & lighting designer
Rob Alberti’s Event Services, DJ & Lighting
Serving the Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island areas
800 782 3033 or Email Us at [email protected]
Check out our other websites: www.audiovideorental.net , www.budgetentertainment.net , www.afterhoursdj.net , www.weddinginsider.net
Copyright 2000-2020 Rob Alberti’s Event Services, After Hours DJ, Event Uplighting – All Rights Reserved
Justin & Hannah Bliss Farm MA Wedding
Justin & Hannah Bliss Farm MA Wedding It was a rainy Saturday at Bliss Farm in Granville, MA but, that didn’t stop Justin and Hannah from having one heck of a daytime wedding. When I arrived onsite they instantly let me know that we’re doing this thing outside no matter the weather! They carefully prepared…
Yaelle & Elizabeth Balderdash Cellars Wedding
Yaelle & Elizabeth Balderdash Cellars Wedding What do you get when an engineer and teacher get together with two of the kindest families in the world? Yaelle and Elizabeth! They were so much fun to work with! It was a top 10 day at Balderdash Cellars as the families arrived for photos and mingling before…
Anne & Vanja Westfield River Brewing Company Wedding
Anne & Vanja Westfield River Brewing Company Wedding Anne and Vanja were so much fun to work with! They wanted a totally non-traditional wedding that emphasized all of their interests. With few formalities guests were able to mingle, play board games, spend time out by the firepit, and of course tear it up on the…
Helen & Jon Intimate Mass MoCA Wedding
Helen & Jon Intimate Mass MoCA Wedding It was an intimate wedding with less than 70 guests at Mass MoCA in the Prow. Helen and Jon exchanged vows in Sol LeWitt Galleries and then we moved on to cocktails just off the Prow. Their table assignments were tacked to different loaves of bread. We love…
Cassidy & Garrett OceanCliff Newport RI Wedding
Cassidy & Garrett Ocean Cliff Newport RI Wedding Cassidy and Garret had their wedding at OceanCliff Hotel in Newport, RI. It’s a beautiful venue that over looks the water. They held their ceremony in Wrentham and then headed down to Newport for their reception. They had a harpist playing to great the guests for their…
Planning Your Corporate Event
Making Your Next Corporate Event a Success If you’re planning a networking event that will have a speaking or presentation portion for your company there are a few good questions to ask yourself. What type of tech do you need? How many people will be speaking over the course of the event? Will they be…
What Do You Do Now?
Contact DJ Rob today to find out pricing and availability for your upcoming event. We offer wedding DJs, Custom Lighting Design, and Photo Booth Rentals.
Describe your wedding in 3 words so we have an understanding of what you are looking for.
Send us an inspirational image of what you are trying to create for custom wedding lighting.
Tell us the style of music that gets you up and shaking your booty.
Let us guide you through the planning process.
Our stomping grounds are The Berkshires and Hartford CT areas, but we travel from Hudson Valley NY to Boston MA, and Southern VT to the CT Shoreline frequently. Get started today.